Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day One ~ Writing Novels

Soooo for my first post I am going to talk about the novel I am currently working on. It's name, you ask? Nothing. No... My book is not called nothing, I just have no name :P   For this blog's purposes we will call it (As a group) Things That Go Bump In The Night... No that sucks. It'll be called Boo!. Yes! Perfect.

Ok Boo! officially has 3 characters: Matt, Nate, and Mel. Now my writing process is throwing my characters into the middle of a problem (no skills to fix said problem and of course no background, as I have not written one yet).

We enter the story with Matt and Nate speaking to a possible friend(?) and we are to assume the boys (Matt & Nate) are either very good friends or maybe brothers(?). So the boys are talking to their friend (no name as of yet) and are looking into Mel's background. From this we can guess they are cops... Demons are mentioned! We are not writing about cops! We are writing about 'hunters', 'paranormal experts', 'ect.'.

Well now we can guess abit about our characters,
   1. Nate and Matt (and their friend) know something about demons and this could mean they know something about all creepy critters.
   2. Mel must have freaked them out in a way that still seems somewhat human (or she would have been dead).
   3. They have access to background records (which suggests 'connections').


What I have found about writing books is that it isn't so much as telling a story as being 5 steps ahead of your characters. Sadly for me, at this point in time, Matt and Nate are throwing me curves. I would also like to say that I am much further along in this novel, but I am taking it back to Day1 (I have writer's block <-- Sigh...).

I hope you have enjoyed Day 1 of writing and it you, yourself are an author try this technique:
      Take your characters and throw them onto a desert island. What do they do? How do they act? Do they get off? 

I find this reaaly helps you, the author, get a feeling for who your characters are and how they think and feel. Try it. What do you have to lose?

This has been the author, the editor, and the passenger of this ever changing amusement ride. I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment